Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Still in Limbo

Well so far I have seen two plastic surgeons and I still don't know what or when this is going to happen. The first one was Dr. Z. and he told me that he only does implants and that he doesn't recommend that for me. I don't have all the muscle structure to hold them in place because of the mastectomy so the one could end up on my shoulder or under my arm. Hmmm don't think I want them there.... That was in June. Then I had to wait for him to send his findings to Dr. H. and then for Dr. H. to refer me to someone else which turned out to be Dr. C. I finally got to see him last week. He said that since I need bilateral reconstruction and if I want to use the tummy tissue, I need to go to Winnipeg. Apparently this surgery takes 2 plastic surgeons 6 hours and while they could do it in Saskatoon, they don't really have the man power. He would do it if it was just one side or if I opted to use the skin from my back and then spacers. A spacer is an implant that Dr. Z already said I shouldn't use and this guy agreed with that so I am a little confused about that. So now I wait some more until Dr B in Winnipeg sends me a letter with an appointment.

I did get my port taken out last week when I was in Saskatoon. Just 2 more sleeps and I get the stitches out. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Heather A said...

Hey, Berny! Yaaaa ... that having a boob under one's arm or one's shoulder can make life complicated. You definitely don't want to go there!

I'm so glad you got that port out at least! How liberating!

Good luck with the decision making regarding the boobs. I don't envy you this.