Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nearing the Finish Line :)

Okay where to start? In February 2012 I was ready to release the information that I had tested positive for the BRCA 2 gene mutation.  That did the trick because a month later I finally received a call from Winnipeg that they I could come for a consult with Dr B in May.  However they said if I was considering a hysterectomy I needed to do that first.  With the gene mutation I have an increased risk of developing ovarian cancer and being on Tamoxifen** increases the uterine cancer risk.  I wasn't sure if I was prepared to go that extreme but I really wanted to get a professional opinion.  I tried in Feb, March, April, May and finally got an appointment with my family doctor in June to talk to him about it. Since I didn't have that kind of time, I called Dr H in April and tried to see him but his secretary wouldn't let me!! She did at least have him call me the next day and he said yes he thought it was a good idea for me to consider this and referred me to a gynecologist - Dr E.  She was amazing and worked really hard to fit me in quickly first for the consult and then the surgery - we decided just an oophorectomy (ovaries and tubes) was the best option for me.  I had the surgery in June and then got to have my consult in Winnipeg in August.
For the consult they showed us photos of exactly what they do in surgery.  They would be doing a right prophylactic mastectomy, bilateral reconstruction with right DIEP and left SIEA free flaps.  You can google that if you like rather than me trying to explain it. Dr B told me their goal is to make me look good in clothes - perfect, that's all I want.  I was thinking this was going to be happening soon but no they said it could still take up to a year for me to get the surgery.  They are still overwhelmed with active cancer surgeries and they fit people like me in when they can.  So back home I go and wait and wait and wait.
The call finally came in late May that I had a surgery date Monday June 3, 2013. (In October it will be 4 years since I was referred to the first plastic surgeon - that is a long wait!)  I had to be in Winnipeg on the Friday before for a appointment with the anesthetist.  When I told him I was a little nervous as this was the biggest surgery I've ever had he said this wasn't considered a big surgery!  Hindsight tells me I should have said "You try it!" The nice thing about the Health Sciences Centre is that there is a hostel (Lennox Bell Lodge) attached to it (along with a host of other services) with a series of underground tunnels.  We stayed there the Thursday night and then Murray stayed there while I was in hospital and we had to stay for a week after I was released.  Since it's only about 2 1/2 hours drive, we went to Kenora, Ont to visit my aunt for the week end. I hadn't seen her in about 7 years and we had such a nice visit with her.
On the day of surgery I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m.  After admitting they got me into a hospital gown and started the IV.  A resident came in a drew all over me with black permanent marker (just like they do on Nip Tuck!)  The doctor came in after that and did some revisions on the drawing.  By 7:30 sharp I was on the operating table and it was lights out. The resident that called Murray after said it took 7 hours and it was textbook.
The first thing I remember is that whoever moved me and my bed into my room was not as good of driver as the ones who have done it for me in Saskatoon.  Man they were swaying all over the place and banging into everything!  I was nauseous from it!  They checked me with a little hand held ultrasound machine every hour for the first 24 hours to make sure there was proper blood flow in the tissue.  I had to stay in bed for that first 24 hours.  On day two they got me up into a chair for about 20 minutes and then day 3 they got me up to the bathroom.  After that I finally got rid of the catheter.  I didn't realize how completely helpless I would be for the first 2 weeks.  I couldn't get out of bed without help or bend over to pick anything up off the floor.  I could barely walk as I had to do the grandma walk and stay hunched over.  This put a lot of strain on my lower back so that is what hurt the most.  I could feed myself but even just cutting things up on my plate took effort.  I also didn't know that I would have to sleep sitting up propped up with pillows for 4 weeks.  I like to sleep all over the place, on my back, sides, front so sleeping isn't enjoyable right now.  It would have been nice to have a little more realistic warning of what to expect for recovery.  I could have psyched myself up for it.
The food in the hospital was the worst I have ever had.  Everything was processed and microwaved.  I really don't know how anyone can heal eating that!  I also had to give up all caffeine for 3 weeks after surgery including chocolate.  That was hard for me.
We were  really fortunate to get a wheelchair accessible room at the lodge.  Simply because there was a lot more room in there and the best part was the big shower with a chair that I could sit on. No way could I have stood up long enough to shower.
The drive home was long as Winnipeg is about 10 hours from here.  They said we should stop to let me walk around every hour so that made it even longer.  This was to prevent blood clots in my legs.  One good thing is that I now have a plastic surgeon who will look do all my after care in Saskatoon - Dr C.  I saw her two weeks after surgery.  Apparently there are revisions that I can have done if I choose.  I thought this was a one time surgery but she told me that we won't know exactly what I have until the swelling goes down and things settle into place which takes about 3 months.  The side they did the mastectomy and immediate reconstruction on is way more swollen and so I feel like Marilyn Monroe on that side and Twiggy on the other :(  Anyway she said she can make me look really good and all the revisions would be day surgery.  I will see how I feel when the time comes.
I am at 3 weeks post surgery and things have improved a lot.  Most of the scabs have fallen off.  I will have to wear a compression binder around my middle for 3 more weeks and a special bra day and night for 3 months.  I have had a few spots of infection starting but I have been able to fix that up with tea tree essential oil. 

I am now waiting for the day that I can get out there and work in my garden.
**I decided to go off the Tamoxifen in October 2012.  I was just tired of the side effects like Charlie horses all over my body not just the legs), hot flashes, weight gain, thin hair and I also suspected it was causing my migraines.

2 comments:

Heather A said...

Hey, Berny! I was so surprised to finally see another post on your blog! Thanks so much for posting about your experience. Even though you told me all about it, I still have this AWFUL memory (as you will have noted) that I attribute to chemo and possibly Tamoxifen both and I can't remember a bloody thing! So I'm really glad to have this written down. Even when you reminded me that you had been off Tamoxifen for all this time, I had forgotten and only hours after did I get some flickers of memory of your having told me about that already.

Well ... what a gruelling and long-awaited surgery! I hope the swelling goes down soon and that you look like either Marilyn or Twiggy (whichever you would rather, but perhaps something between --- more like beautiful Berny). Whatever the case, I really hope you don't need any additional nips and tucks ... unless you decide you really do want to take the quick and easy butt reduction route.

Cheers to a SPEEDY and COMPLETE recovery and moving on to all the fun stuff.

Audrey said...

Hi Berny, thanks for the detailed and amusing update (you have a knack for creative humorous writing) I'm so happy that you are done with the last crucial step to this wild ride and it's only going to get better from here. I can't wait to see the new voluptuous Berny!